It’s a SNOW SUNDAY! Service at 4640 Edmondson Ave is postponed until next week. Since the roads are bad and your car is stuck, take some time at home to experience a different kind of worship…. Either on your own or with others in your home.
- turn off the tv and any other devices that tend to distract.
- Get comfortable– slippers are just fine today!
- Listen to Arvo Part’s “Spiegel im Spiegel” (Mirror in Mirror) for a few minutes to reflect on your gratitude to God for all of the wonder of God’s creation (including the snow outside your window!).
- Speak aloud (or in your heart) your completion of the following statement: Lord, today I am especially grateful for….
- Share your gratitude with the rest of us by commenting as you feel led.
NEXT: Pull out a Bible (or even two different translations to do some comparing).
We are all familiar with the 12 disciples being called followers of Jesus. But there were other people who also followed Jesus in various ways and for a variety of motivations. This morning I invite you to explore three different followers of Jesus by reading:
- John 12:1-3
- Mark 10:46-52
- Matthew 20:20-23
Take a few minutes to note (on paper, on your computer, in your mind) why each of these individuals seemed to be following Jesus. Any similarities between them? Any differences? (could be both!) If there are two or more of you, talk about the similarities and differences with one another.
What is YOUR motivation for following Jesus? What attracts you, pulls you, or even insists that you be a follower of Jesus? There might be more than one motivation at any given time in your life. Why are you following Jesus today? (Again, you could discuss this together if there are two or more of you!)
NOW: listen to this solo to a church on a snow Sunday while you work on your own…..
- Choose one of the three followers you read about. Jot down phrases that he or she might have used in a prayer to Jesus. What would be the main things on his/her mind? In his/her heart? Use your imagination!
- So, could that person’s prayer possibly be your prayer today? Or part of it? If not, what would your prayer be for today? Write it out. Any words/phrases/even simple drawings are fine. This is not to be published in the Forerunner, just for you and God this morning.
- Share your prayer thoughts with God.
- Share your comments with the rest of us as you feel led….
NEXT: Check out this great version of Just a Closer Walk with Thee —enjoy it and sing along if you like!
I am weak but Thou art strong
Jesus keep me from all wrong
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee
Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it Jesus, is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be dear Lord, let it be
When my feeble life is over
Time for me will be no more
Guide me gently, safely over
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore
OFFERING: Be sure to click on Give Now to give your offering to the ministry of Hunting Ridge Presbyterian Church from the comfort of your warm home.
PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE: As you close your time of worship, lift to God the names of any people or places in the world which weigh on your minds. For those who are physically or mentally ill…..for those who are facing economic hardship….for those who are in conflict zones….for those who are grieving….for those who are searching for God.
End with the Lord’s prayer in whatever language you are comfortable using!
Peace in Christ. Pastor Deborah
(Many thanks to Craig Sparks for musical and technical experience at 8 am on Sunday morning!)
(And very many thanks to Nick Leonard who is currently out plowing our parking lot and shoveling the heavy wet snow on the sidewalks at 4640 Edmondson Ave!)