How to Carve a Jack-o-Lantern
in 7 Easy Steps
To carve a Jack-o-Lantern you will need the following materials:
1 Medium Serving Spoon
1 Medium Knife
1 Small Knife
1 Dry Erase Marker
Step 1: Preparing for Carving
- Cover your working surface with newspaper.
Step 2: Cutting Out the Stem
- Cut a hole around the stem at about a 45-degree angle towards the center of the pumpkin big enough for your hand to fit through.
- WARNING-If the cut is not at an angle the stem will fall into the pumpkin.
- WARNING-Save the stem.
Step 3: Scooping Out the Pumpkin
- Using the medium serving spoon, scoop out the seeds and pulp (the orange stringy material inside the pumpkin) and put it in the bowl.
Step 4: Sketching the Face
- On roundest or best-looking side, sketch the desired face or design of your Jack-o-lantern.
Step 5: Carving the Pumpkin
- Using the small knife, cut at a perpendicular angle along chosen design. Remove loose pieces of the pumpkin and discard them into the medium bowl.
- Note-Wipe off the extra dry erase markings when finished cutting out the design.
Step 6: Lighting the Pumpkin
- Ask a grown-up to light the candle with the lighter and place inside the Jack-o-lantern. Put the stem back on.
- Note-You can use a battery-operated tea light instead of a candle.
Step 7: Displaying the Jack-o-Lantern: Place the pumpkin where desired.